It’s officially summer! Whether your visiting the ocean, a lake or a pool, water can bring danger. We’ve put together some water safety tips for you and your family to stay safe this summer:
- Never leave a child unattended around water. When water is around, there should always be a few dedicated “water watchers” whose sole job is to keep an eye on the swimmers. Vigilance is key. No chatting, no checking your phone. Watch the water and those in it.
- Enroll your kids in swim lessons. Making sure your kids know how to swim is the best way to stay safe in and around the water. Even for kids who “know” how to swim, lessons are still beneficial.
- In an emergency, every second counts. Be ready to take action and enroll in a CPR, First Aid, and AED course. Training courses are offered year round by the American Red Cross.
- Always swim with a buddy. No matter your age or skill level, always swim with at least one other person.
- Make sure to give your kids extra coaching and supervision whenever they are swimming in a new area. Be aware of dangers, including rip tides, currents, and waves.
- Children should wear Coast Guard-approved life jackets whenever they are in and around water. Check out this infographic from The BoatUS Foundation for Boating Safety to see how to properly wear a life jacket.
On the beach, on a boat, at the pool or sitting lakeside, water and summer, go hand in hand. Remember the tips above to ensure your family has a safe and enjoyable summer.
For information on Cole Harrison home insurance, contact us today!